Victim Assistance Team
Advocates are available to provide confidential crisis intervention and emotional support through the Women and Gender Advocacy Center. Call 970-491-6384 during business hours M-F. In addition, the 24-hour Victim Assistance Team is available to assist survivors of sexual assault and their loved ones. Call 970-491-7111 and ask to speak with an advocate.
The Victim Assistance Team (VAT) is here to assist Colorado State University students and any family or friends who have been sexually assaulted on or off campus; and staff, faculty, or visitors who have been sexually assaulted on campus. Trained Victim Advocates are on call 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to provide emotional support and information if you have been sexually violated.
What Does the Victim Assistance Team Do?
- Advocates assist victims of all genders, and any family or friends to cope with the physical, psychological and legal aftermath resulting from a sexual assault.
- Trained Victim Advocates are on call 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to provide emotional support and information to someone who has been sexually violated.
- Advocates can provide information about the victim's choices for getting medical care. Advocates can meet with a student in a residence hall room, at a designated spot on campus, or another agreed upon location.
- Advocates can also accompany a victim to the hospital or Women's Clinic (or Men's Clinic) at Hartshorn Health Center if she or he would like.
- They can explain the process of reporting the assault to the police and can go with the victim to the police station if they decide to file a report. They can also let the victim know about the University's Student Conduct system if the perpetrator is a student.
- Calling for an advocate does not obligate reporting anything to the police, except when there is a significant public safety concern.
For more information and resources regarding sexual assault and interpersonal violence visit the Women and Gender Advocacy Center website: http://www.wgac.colostate.edu.